- The intent of all Vedic sciences are to lead us Godward and are means to depict and manifest God’s glory. Be it astrology, ayurveda, dance or vasthu, all these sciences and arts are a way to making man take another step towards the divine.
- Prana (or life force) is the most important factor for health and therapeutic treatment.
- The higher forms of Yoga are concerned with the development of this prana shakthi. Marma therapy is a multidimensional approach to health that included physical, energitic and mental sheaths (Annamaya, Pranamaya and Manomaya Koshas) that in turn have an effect on the souls apprarent journey home.
- Marmas are a part of a greater sacred physiologyy that maps out the body according to subtle energy currents and power points. The body has its own special sacred points just as the Earth has its sacred currents and energy currents according to sacred geography.
Marmas and Vedic Sciences
- Just as mantras are the seed powers that underlie speech and language, so marmas are the seed sites that underlie the body and its movement.
- The Vedic vision regards the entire universe or macrocosm as the cosmic person or Purusha, within the human body as a replica a microcosm. This means that the mapping of the energy fields in the human body reflects that of the universe as a whole.
- Marma was part of Dhanur veda The four upavedas are: Dhanur veda-Martial arts, Ayurveda – Medicine for both body and mind, Gandharva veda- music, dance and literature, sthapatya veda-vasthu or directional influences and architecture.
Marmas and Ayurveda
- Through the right use of marmas our entire physical and mental energy can be consciously increased decreased or redirected in a transformative manner.
- When manipulated, marmas can alter both the organic function and structural condition of the body.
- At marma sites toxins, stress and negative emotions get lodged and are held sometimes for years. Relieving pain, blockage or swelling at marma sites is an important therapeutic aid and one of the first stages of many Ayurvedic treatments.
Marmas and System of Yoga
- Marmas are key energy centers for the practice of yoga on all levels from yoga postures o deep meditation.
- Yoga postures affect the energy held in the limbs, joints and spine whic contain important marmas. Asanas can be used to stimulate and balancec marmas in various ways.
- Marmas connect to the nadis(subtle nerves) and chakras of the subtle body and mind. Thus marmas are important for healing subtle and physical body.
- Marmas similarly have a place in higher Yoga practies of concentration, mantra and meditation. Special mantras can be used with particular mamas in order to increase physical or psychological strength, adaptibility and immunity.
Marma, tantra and Siddha medicine
- According to the Siddha system, the entire universe originates from the union of Lord Shiva- Being Sat and his wife Parvati-energy or consciousness force (Cit-Shakthi). Prana at rest is Shiva and in motion is Parvati. The marma as a form of treatment connects to both Shiva and Shakthi forces.
- The Siddha system refers to marmas relative to the effects of the moon and the planets on the human body, bringing in an astrological link as well.
Marmas and Martial Arts
- Marmas were associated with the use of armor for the body, which was devised to protect these vital points from injury.
- Rig Veda speaks of using protective coverings to protect these marmas. It refers to prayer or mantra as the best protection.
- Mahabharatha contains many references to marma. It mentions protective coverings for the marmas of elephants and horses as well as soldiers. At that time great warriors coud use their powers of Prana and mental force as fighting tools, energizing arrows with natural forces like fire and lightning.
- The highest form of martial arts is the marma Adi of which knowledge of the marmas was the central part.